“Curry College inspired me to want to go on to become successful.”
Gary Leopold '77
President/CEO, ISM Travel and Lifestyle Marketing
- Boston Globe CEO Mike Sheehan to Deliver Commencement Address
- Philanthropists John W. Keith and Shelley Hoon Keith to Receive Honorary Degrees
- Prof. Cathleen Santos Named President-Elect of ANA-MA
- More News >
- Curry Dance Spring 2015 Showcase: THRESHOLD
May 1 - May 2
- Conference: "New Directions in Violence Prevention"
- Commencement 2015
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- About Curry /
- News & Events /
- Recent News /
- All News /
- Criminal Justice Professor Jen Balboni Authors Book on Clergy Sexual Abuse Litigation
Criminal Justice Professor Jen Balboni Authors Book on Clergy Sexual Abuse Litigation
April 4, 2011
Dr. Jen Balboni, assistant professor of criminal justice, has authored her first academic book, Clergy Sexual Abuse Litigation: Survivors Seeking Justice, now published by FirstForumPress.
Excerpt from the publisher's page:
Why did victims of Catholic clergy sexual abuse wait so long to come forward, and what did their recourse to the courts finally achieve?
Jennifer Balboni explores the experiences of clergy sex abuse survivors who sought justice through the court system, highlighting the promise and shortfalls of civil litigation in providing justice. Balboni draws on cases across the country such as the landmark 2002 lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Church to show how legal procedures that focused on financial settlements overlooked the survivors' overarching desire to see the Church publicly acknowledge its wrongdoing. Her analysis underscores the gap between public and legal perceptions of justice and gives fresh insight into the complex ways that civil litigation can transform the lives of crime victims.