“I felt like the courses were constantly helping me in my job as opposed to being something extra I had to do at night after work.”
Derek Thompson '06
Vice Principal, Plymouth North High School
Major: Master of Education
- Curry College Celebrates Commencement 2013
- Awards Recognition Ceremony Celebrates the Best of Curry 2012-2013
- Curry College Equestrian Places 5th at National Championship Competition
- More News >
- New Student Orientation 2013: First-Year Students
June 6 - June 20
- New Student Orientation 2013: Transfer Students
July 18 - August 1
- New Student Convocation 2013
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Graduate Programs /
- Education /
- M.Ed. - Elementary Education
M.Ed. - Elementary Education
Do you dream of positively influencing today's young learners as an elementary classroom teacher? Have you considered a new career direction where you can inspire America's elementary school students? Are you a teacher's aide, education paraprofessional or instructional assistant?
Then take the next step to gain the professional skills and perspectives of an effective elementary classroom educator, and choose the elementary education (teacher, grades 1-6) concentration in the M.Ed. program at Curry College.
Team-Based Learning and Benefits
As you complete your course work in just 16 months, you will benefit from our cohort-based learning community that models the team-oriented educational workplace. In addition to hands-on fieldwork experiences in actual classrooms, you'll interact with Curry's dedicated faculty in small class settings while exploring key concepts of successful educational practice, including literacy, curriculum development and lesson planning, classroom management, working with children with special needs and techniques to adapt and differentiate instruction for different learners.
Before you apply, you'll need to:
- Earn a passing score on the MTEL communication and literacy skills tests
- Successfully complete a course in Human Development (PSY 2400) - check the Curry Continuing Education schedule for course dates and locations
- Demonstrate basic computer skills and regular access to a computer so you can complete the online components of the programStep Into Your Future
Schedules and Courses
- Core course should be taken at the beginning of the program
- Prerequisite: MED 6065, Integrated Curriculum: Social Studies & the Arts
- Prerequisite: MED 6065 (required) and MED 6060 (suggested)
- Prerequisites: For Reflective Practice: 12 Credit Minimum. For Practicum: 18 credits and passing score on all applicable MTEL tests for concentration/license.
- Prerequisite: Completion of all other required courses
- The Capstone Thesis is recommended for students considering further study. It requires 39 credits instead of 36.
Step Into Your FutureStep into your future as a classroom teacher in elementary education, grades 1-6. Request information about the M.Ed. concentration in elementary education at Curry College, make an appointment to speak with an advisor or apply today!
Jeannine Hatch, M.Ed. '06 shares her experience going back to school to change her career from Accountant to Elementary School teacher.