“I live on the South Shore and had heard positive things about Curry College. The fact that Curry has smaller classes and that the student population in the program tends to be older were the selling points for me.”
John McCarthy '09
Major: Master of Education
- Curry College Celebrates Commencement 2013
- Awards Recognition Ceremony Celebrates the Best of Curry 2012-2013
- Curry College Equestrian Places 5th at National Championship Competition
- More News >
- New Student Orientation 2013: First-Year Students
June 6 - June 20
- New Student Orientation 2013: Transfer Students
July 18 - August 1
- New Student Convocation 2013
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Graduate Programs /
- Education /
- M.Ed. - Special Education
M.Ed. - Special Education
Are you excited about leading a classroom designed for young students with moderate disabilities? Have you been thinking about a new career in which you can improve the world for special needs children? Do you already serve students with special needs as a teacher's aide, education paraprofessional or instructional assistant?
Start making a difference in your life and the lives of others by choosing the Special Education concentration in the Master of Education (M.Ed.) program at Curry College.
Team-Based Learning and Benefits
As you complete your course work in just 16 months, you and your peers will benefit from our cohort-based learning community that models the team-oriented educational workplace. In addition to hands-on fieldwork experiences in actual classrooms, you'll learn from Curry's dedicated faculty in small class settings while exploring key concepts of successful educational practice, including literacy, curriculum development and lesson planning, classroom management strategies, psycho-educational assessment, creating individualized lesson plans (IEPs) and techniques to adapt and differentiate lessons for different learners.
Before you apply, you'll need to:
- Earn a passing score on the MTEL communication and literacy skills tests
- Successfully complete a course in Human Development (PSY 2400) - check the Curry Continuing Education schedule for course dates and locations
- Demonstrate basic computer skills and regular access to a computer so you can complete the online components of the program
Schedules and Courses
- Core course should be taken at the beginning of the program
- Prerequisite: MED 6440
- Prerequisite: MED 6065, Integrated Curriculum: Social Studies & the Arts
- Prerequisite: MED 6065 (required) and MED 6060 (suggested)
- Prerequisites: For Reflective Practice: 12 Credit Minimum. For Practicum: 18 credits and passing score on all applicable MTEL tests for concentration/license.
- Prerequisite: Completion of all other required courses.
- Capstone Thesis is ideal for students considering further degrees. It requires 39 credits instead of 36.
Step Into Your Future
Step into your future as a classroom teacher in special education for students with moderate disabilities, PreK-8. Request information about the M.Ed. concentration in special education at Curry College, make an appointment to speak with an advisor or apply today!