“The science faculty members at Curry College were very giving and very knowledgeable, and they really wanted students to succeed. I wanted to be a part of that.”
Nick Messier '13
Biopharmaceutical Technologist, Charles River Laboratories
Major: Biology, Criminal Justice
- Spring Break in Silicon Valley: Information Technology, Business Management Students Meet with Tech Giants
- Curry Film/TV Student a Finalist in NESN Producing Competition
- Trustee Ruth Ellen Fitch Appointed to the Massachusetts Pension Reserves Investment Management (PRIM) Board
- More News >
- Curry Theatre Presents: Spring 2015 New Plays Festival
March 28 - March 30
- 'Senior 7: Off the Grid' - Spring Art & Design Exhibit
April 2 - May 17
- Spring Student Art & Design Exhibit
April 6 - April 11
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- English and Writing /
- Learning Outcomes
The English Major:
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of works from different periods and genres within the evolving canon of English language texts.
- Contextualize and connect specific texts with broader historical and cultural knowledge and perspectives.
- Demonstrate critical reading skills for analyzing and evaluating a range of texts.
- Produce focused, well-developed, analytical and argumentative writing that incorporates a variety of oral, printed, and/or visual texts.
- Demonstrate proper documentation of primary and secondary sources.
- Apply understanding of literary aesthetics to readings or their own creative work.
- Comprehend a variety of literary terms and expressions derived from diverse cultural and social experiences, and realize the importance of gender, class, race, and geographical location as categories of literary analysis.
- Develop analytical perspectives and enriched vocabularies that can be employed in other professions and disciplines.
- Understand the value of studying the Humanities and recognize its contribution to other disciplines.