“I chose Curry because I didn't just want to be a face in the crowd. I wanted to have those close-knit relationships with other students; I wanted to get to know my professors.”
Christine Nguyen '15
- Communication Students Experience Hollywood, Up Close
- Trustee Joyce A. Murphy Honored by Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Massachusetts Health Council, and Boston Globe Magazine
- Communication Major Elaina Druid '16 Awarded "Emerging Leader Scholarship" by Public Relations Society of America
- More News >
- 'Layers': MGNE National Juried Student Exhibition of Monotypes & Monoprints
February 1 - March 14
- Concert & Diversity Workshop: 'Smashing the Ceiling' Featuring Magdalen Hsu-Li
- Curry Theatre Presents: Spring 2015 New Plays Festival
March 28 - March 30
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- English and Writing /
- Learning Outcomes
The English Major:
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of works from different periods and genres within the evolving canon of English language texts.
- Contextualize and connect specific texts with broader historical and cultural knowledge and perspectives.
- Demonstrate critical reading skills for analyzing and evaluating a range of texts.
- Produce focused, well-developed, analytical and argumentative writing that incorporates a variety of oral, printed, and/or visual texts.
- Demonstrate proper documentation of primary and secondary sources.
- Apply understanding of literary aesthetics to readings or their own creative work.
- Comprehend a variety of literary terms and expressions derived from diverse cultural and social experiences, and realize the importance of gender, class, race, and geographical location as categories of literary analysis.
- Develop analytical perspectives and enriched vocabularies that can be employed in other professions and disciplines.
- Understand the value of studying the Humanities and recognize its contribution to other disciplines.