“When I first stepped on campus I honestly felt like it was home. People were so nice to me. They opened doors for me. They're all smiling. When I saw the students they were all accepting of each other, asking each other questions. And they made me actually feel like I was a Curry student even though they knew I was still a high school student.”
Jordan Rogers '15
Major: Criminal Justice
- Communication Major Elaina Druid '16 Awarded "Emerging Leader Scholarship" by Public Relations Society of America
- Hall of Fame Sportswriter Bob Ryan Featured at Littlefield Lecture Series Event
- Curry College Featured on Fox 25 “College Tour”
- More News >
- Curry Theatre Presents: 'Into the Woods'
December 11 - December 13
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities Navigate the College Search
- Orientation 2015: First-Year Students
June 8 - June 20
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- Environmental Science
Interested in investigating the natural world? Fascinated with living organisms and want to explore them further? Intrigued by the prospect of doing independent research? Excited about the possibility of doing an internship? Want hands on, real world research and field experiences, with contacts and connections for jobs and graduate/professional schools? Then the Curry environmental science program may be the choice for you.
Environmental science at Curry College emphasizes measurement performed in nature. Coursework in the environmental science major takes you out of the classroom, to local lakes, rivers, fields and forests, as well as marine habitats, such as salt marshes, beaches and rocky wave swept shores. At these sites, you will learn sampling techniques appropriate for gathering information about these habitats.
Real World Experiences
Internships, independent research experiments and Honors Program projects have involved Curry environmental science students in a number of real world environmental initiatives. For example:
- A limnological survey of a vernal pool on the Blue Hills Reservation
- Water quality monitoring at Houghton's and Ponkapoag Ponds on the Blue Hills Reservation
- Water quality monitoring at Willett Pond for the Neponset River Watershed Association
- A study of the effects of road sand/salt on trout egg nests in streams in Bear Mountain State Park for the Neponset River Watershed Association
- A hydrological survey of salt marshes at Dammed Meddowes at the Worlds End Reservation for the Trustees of Reservations. the survey served as a basis for construction work involved in marsh restoration. The survey told the engineers at what elevations above mean low tide the marsh could exist and how much seawater would be required to flood the marsh at those elevations.
Environmental Science as a MAJOR
The Environmental Science major prepares you for the pursuit of careers related to the environment and environmental issues. The major is designed for students whose interests lie in scientific and technological action.
Environmental Studies as a MINOR
A minor in environmental science gives students in other majors additional specialized knowledge and skills that provide an advantage in seeking employment and expand their options in choosing careers or graduate programs.
An Experienced, Available Faculty
At Curry College our small class sizes allow for individual attention from all of our professors. Faculty members in the sciences have a wealth of teaching experience, both in lecture and laboratory formats, ensuring a positive teacher-student relationship.
Our faculty also have diverse interests in their fields and many contacts with outside agencies, including medical institutions, environmental groups, businesses, and graduate schools. This allows our students to receive valuable experience outside the classroom in internships and when working on senior year research projects.
Get Started Today!
Visit campus and explore Curry's environmental science program in person. You also may request information to learn more about the major, minor or concentration of your choice. When you're ready to apply to Curry, we'll help you get started.
Contact the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Department:
Science Building, Room 202