“During my four years at Curry I built up quite a portfolio in the graphic design major. I've put a lot of time and effort into it, and I really think it's paid off.”
Tyler Collins '14
Graphic Designer, Gupta Media
Major: Graphic Design
- Communication Students Experience Hollywood, Up Close
- Trustee Joyce A. Murphy Honored by Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Massachusetts Health Council, and Boston Globe Magazine
- Communication Major Elaina Druid '16 Awarded "Emerging Leader Scholarship" by Public Relations Society of America
- More News >
- Free Concert: 'Heartbeat' - Israeli and Palestinian Youth Musicians
- 'Layers': MGNE National Juried Student Exhibition of Monotypes & Monoprints
March 6 - March 14
- Accepted Student Day 2015
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- Graphic Design
Are you creative? Artistic? Love using technology? Want to combine those skills in order to thrive in an exciting, ever-changing industry? Then the Curry graphic design major may be for you.
Graphic design is an emerging practice spanning a wide range of media and contexts. The Curry College program will prepare you with:
- A solid foundation in the visual arts, enabling you with a strong visual language for moving forward within the major.
- Intermediate design courses which will help you communicate effectively through the integration of type and image and systems and structures.
- Advanced classes to synthesize your prior knowledge, enabling you to respond to a wide range of design issues via the Independent Studio Course. You will complete an intensive semester-long project that has relevance within the industry; topics are student-driven and often socially conscious in content.
Graphic Design Careers
Curry College graduates hold creative positions in design studios both large and small across the nation. Some have started their own design studios, and others have landed positions at prestigious institutions in Boston, New York and Los Angeles. Recent graduates design for a diverse range of media, including identity systems, print and interactive.
Graphic Design as a MAJOR
The graphic design major is structured to teach visual, intellectual, conceptual and technical skills- providing you with the ability to articulate message, purpose and meaning through the language of the discipline. The curriculum covers a wide variety of media, including print, motion and interactive. Working with a diverse set of media will prepare you with the visual and technical skills needed for professional practice.
Graphic Design as a MINOR
The graphic design minor introduces you to the basics of design and teaches design-specific software currently used in the graphic design profession. Students majoring in applied technology and communication find the graphic design minor particularly useful because it provides an added perspective to their major.
The graphic design faculty is dedicated to nurturing the creativity, development and individual growth of each student. Students work closely with professors who are active professionally within the design community. In addition, the faculty is rehearsed in a wide range of media and have been recognized for excellence in their design work through organizations such as AIGA (The Professional Association for Design), The Boston Ad Club and MITX (The Massachusetts Innovation & Technology Exchange).
Student Art Exhibit
Each spring, the Department of Fine and Applied Arts at Curry holds an exhibition of student art work in a variety of media including artists' books, ceramics, digital art, drawing, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. The exhibit gives students the opportunity to show their work in a gallery-like setting and invites the public to view a wide range of student work. For seniors, the spring exhibit serves as a culmination of four years of study.
Get Started Today!
Visit campus and explore Curry's graphic design program in person. You also may request information to learn more about the major, minor or concentration of your choice. When you're ready to apply to Curry, we'll help you get started.
Contact the Fine Arts Department:
Kennedy Building, Room 3R
In celebration of the arts, the 'Geometric Eye,' public art in the form of sculpture was recently installed in Westhaver Park, outside of the Curry College Student Center. 'Geometric Eye' is a stainless steel and granite sculpture designed to reflect light, and may look different each time a viewer looks at it.
"During my four years as a graphic design major at Curry, I built up quite a portfolio. I put a lot of time and effort into it and I think it really paid off." - Tyler Collins '14, Jr. Graphic Designer at Gupta Media
Realizing early on he wanted to focus on his education in a major that combined his computer skills with his artistic abilities, Craig Dudley '12 found an excellent fit in the graphic design program at Curry College. He now works as a front end web developer for Boston Logic Technology Partners.
The Curry Arts Journal enlivens artistic expression at Curry in publishing an appealing, professional edition of student writing and artwork each year and in sponsoring workshops, readings, and coffeehouses that celebrate student voices each semester.