- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Minors /
- Asian Studies
The Asian Studies minor includes the intellectual, political, cultural and artistic history and culture of the diverse variety of traditions collectively referred to as "Asian." As an interdisciplinary program, the minor seeks to draw on the wide array of resources available at Curry College for the pursuit of an understanding and appreciation of Asian contributions to history and culture - both its own and the more global culture of the twenty-first century.
Curry's Asian course offerings focus primarily on East and South Asia. Students may obtain a minor in Asian Studies in conjunction with any major offered at the College, although it may be particularly attractive for majors in Philosophy, English, Management, and Politics & History.
Requirements for the Asian Studies Minor:
- PHIL/REL 2030 - Eastern Religion and Philosophy - 3
- AS 3900 - Capstone Thesis - 3
Choose three of the following electives*: 9
- CHIN 1010 - Elementary Chinese I (Mandarin)
- CHIN 1020 - Elementary Chinese II (Mandarin)
- MATH 1170 - East Asian Mathematics
- MUS/REL - 2100 Traditions of Sacred Sound
- NSG 3000** - Contemporary Topics in Nursing
- PHIL 2035 - Introduction to Chinese Philosophy
- PHIL 3035 - Modern Chinese Philosophy
- P&H 2120 - China: Tradition and Change
- SOC 2085** - World Cultures
Total credits 15
*Electives must be taken in at least two different disciplines.
**These courses count toward the minor only when their content is largely Asian.