“As a student with an LD, my biggest fear in high school was raising my hand in class, and not knowing the answer. But now, especially when I meet with my PAL advisor, I have more confidence and I feel like I'm more prepared to participate in class.”
Brandon Traina '11
Major: Criminal Justice
- Matt Fitzgerald '13 Tapped to Co-anchor Boston Herald Radio's 'The Lede'
- Professor Joani Geltman's 'A Survival Guide for Parenting Teens...' Featured in 'Boston Globe'
- Dr. Karen Lischinsky Featured in 'New York Times' Article on Restorative Justice
- More News >
- New Student Welcome Weekend 2014
August 30 - September 2
- Spirit Week 2014! - For New and Returning Students
September 1 - September 7
- New Student Academic Convocation 2014
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Special Programs /
- PAL - Program for Advancement of Learning /
- Apply - PAL
Apply - PAL
The Program for Advancement of Learning (PAL) is designed for students who have a primary diagnosis of a language-based learning disability, executive functioning weaknesses, and/or AD/HD, and who have at least average to superior intellectual ability. Space is limited; therefore, each application is evaluated carefully to identify students whose needs best match the nature of support offered in PAL. All applicants must submit diagnostic materials that describe and support the above PAL admissions criteria. Applicants may also submit the optional PAL Supplementary Application, which is available online.
Printed Application Instructions:
*Please submit (by email, fax, or mail) directly to the PAL Learning Center:
- Diagnostic testing (read below)
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or its equivalent, if available
- PAL Supplementary Application optional - complete online form here: Apply online for PAL
Note: SAT, SAT 1, or ACT scores are NOT required of PAL applicants.
The PAL Learning Center
1071 Blue Hill Avenue
Milton, MA 02186
Sending testing or other documents by email attachment?
Be sure to include the student's name in the subject line so the information gets to the correct office.
Need to know if your testing materials, supplemental application, or other materials have been received? We will notify you if any materials are missing, or you can send your inquiry to: PAL@Curry.edu and we will send you an update on receipt of admission materials.
Diagnostic testing typically must be administered within three years of application and include:
- Cognitive testing - Results from the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV), the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-IV), or other comprehensive cognitive tests, such as the Woodcock-Johnson Test of Cognitive Ability. Test results must be accompanied by a narrative report and subtest scores. Please note that the WASI (Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence) is not accepted.
- Achievement testing- Results from an individually administered achievement test (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson, WIAT) indicating current levels in:
- Reading (word recognition and reading comprehension)
- Written Language (must include written expression)
- Math (computation and math reasoning ability)
- The WRAT, or other abbreviated achievement measures, are not accepted.
- Additionally, please submit an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or its equivalent, if available.
*Please note: The PAL office will retain PAL student admission records, including psycho-ed evaluations and other supporting admission documents, for seven (7) years after degree completion or withdrawal from Curry College.
Contact: Dr. Nancy Winbury, Educational Diagnostic Center/PAL Admission Coordinator at 617-333-2314 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about diagnostic testing available through the Educational Diagnostic Center.
An interview with PAL is strongly recommended and may be required in some cases. Please contact the PAL Learning Center by email, PAL@Curry.edu or 617-333-2250, with questions. Most interviews are held Mon. - Fri. between 9 am and 3 pm.
In case of inclement weather, please check the Curry web page for school closing notifications. If Curry is closed, PAL will not be conducting interviews.
Group Information Sessions
PAL will be offering Group Information Sessions throughout the summer. Please call 617-333-2250 or email PAL@Curry.edu for available dates and to reserve a space in one of our upcoming sessions.