““In high school I couldn’t keep up academically with the so called ‘normal’ kids, so everyone else was lumped in together in the ‘special’ classes, even thought there existed a wide range of learning disabilities. I could never find a happy medium where I could learn at my own pace, until I got to Curry.”
Holden Kepecs '85
Emmy Award-winning Editor
- Hill Holliday Chairman and CEO Karen Kaplan to Deliver Commencement Address
- Cambridge College President Deborah C. Jackson to Receive Honorary Degree
- Men's Hockey Partners with Team IMPACT to Recruit Seven-Year Old Aidan Collins
- More News >
- Curry Theatre Presents: Euripides’ 'The Trojan Women'
April 26 - April 29
- Commencement 2014
- New Student Orientation 2014: First-Year Students
June 9 - June 22
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Special Programs /
- PAL - Program for Advancement of Learning /
- Apply - PAL
Apply - PAL
The Program for Advancement of Learning (PAL) is designed for students who have a primary diagnosis of a language-based learning disability, executive functioning weaknesses, and/or AD/HD, and who have at least average to superior intellectual ability. Space is limited; therefore, each application is evaluated carefully to identify students whose needs best match the nature of support offered in PAL. All applicants must submit diagnostic materials that describe and support the above PAL admissions criteria. Applicants may also submit the optional PAL Supplementary Application, which is available online.
*Reminder: Curry College follows a rolling admission plan, so although a priority deadline may have passed, there is still time for you to submit or complete your application. We encourage you to do so as soon as possible.
Printed Application Instructions:
*Please submit (by email, fax, or mail) directly to the PAL Learning Center:
- Diagnostic testing (read below)
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or its equivalent, if available
- PAL Supplementary Application optional - complete online form (link above)
Note: SAT, SAT 1, or ACT scores are NOT required of PAL applicants.
Priority application deadline: March 1; applications will be accepted through May 1
The PAL Learning Center
1071 Blue Hill Avenue
Milton, MA 02186
Need to know if your testing materials, supplemental application, or other materials have been received? We will notify you if any materials are missing, or you can send your inquiry to: PAL@Curry.edu and we will send you an update on receipt of admission materials.
Diagnostic testing typically must be administered within three years of application and include:
- Cognitive testing - Results from the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV), the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-IV), or other comprehensive cognitive tests, such as the Woodcock-Johnson Test of Cognitive Ability. Test results must be accompanied by a narrative report and subtest scores. Please note that the WASI (Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence) is not accepted.
- Achievement testing- Results from an individually administered achievement test (e.g., Woodcock-Johnson, WIAT) indicating current levels in:
- Reading (word recognition and reading comprehension)
- Written Language (must include written expression)
- Math (computation and math reasoning ability)
- The WRAT, or other abbreviated achievement measures, are not accepted.
- Additionally, please submit an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or its equivalent, if available.
*Please note: The PAL office will retain PAL student admission records, including psycho-ed evaluations and other supporting admission documents, for seven (7) years after degree completion or withdrawal from Curry College.
Contact: Dr. Nancy Winbury, Educational Diagnostic Center/PAL Admission Coordinator at 617-333-2314 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about diagnostic testing available through the Educational Diagnostic Center.
An interview with PAL is strongly recommended and may be required in some cases. Please contact the PAL Learning Center by email, PAL@Curry.edu or 617-333-2250, with questions. Most interviews are held Mon. - Fri. between 9 am and 3 pm.
In case of inclement weather, please check the Curry web page for school closing notifications. If Curry is closed, PAL will not be conducting interviews.
Group Information Sessions
PAL will be offering Group Information Sessions throughout the academic year. If you would like to reserve a space in one of our upcoming sessions, please provide your name, phone, year in school, address, and date interested to: PAL@Curry.edu or call 617.333.2250.
SPRING 2014 GROUP INFORMATION SESSION SCHEDULE
Group Information Sessions in PAL are available every Monday and Friday at 11:00 am, with the exception of holidays.
Please call or email PAL@Curry.edu to schedule your appointment.