“I enjoyed Summer PAL very much. I made new friends and learned new things about myself.”
Matt Resio, Student
- Boston Globe CEO Mike Sheehan to Deliver Commencement Address
- Philanthropists John W. Keith and Shelley Hoon Keith to Receive Honorary Degrees
- Prof. Cathleen Santos Named President-Elect of ANA-MA
- More News >
- Curry Dance Spring 2015 Showcase: THRESHOLD
May 1 - May 2
- Conference: "New Directions in Violence Prevention"
- Commencement 2015
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Special Programs /
- PAL - Program for Advancement of Learning /
- Summer Programs /
- Summer PAL /
- Summer PAL - Traditional/On-Campus
Summer PAL - Traditional/On-Campus
Jump-start your college experience by enrolling In SUMMER PAL!
Summer PAL is a strongly recommended, optional program for accepted PAL students. It provides a structured transition to college in a supportive, educational environment that allows students to enter their first year with increased confidence and self-awareness. Students earn 3 academic credits for completion of this three-week intensive session which lays the foundation for developing self-understanding and effective learning habits. Summer PAL introduces students to the resources and experiences available at Curry and provides an opportunity to build the communication skills necessary to develop long lasting relationships with faculty and students. You must be accepted to PAL and Curry College to be eligible for Summer PAL.
The traditional, three-week, on-campus Summer PAL program (PAL1180) takes place on the Curry College, Milton, MA campus from July 12 - 31, 2015.
- Summer PAL Brochure (PDF)
SUMMER PAL 1180 - ON-CAMPUS TRADITIONAL COURSE
Summer PAL - PAL 1180 - is an intensive learning experience for entering first year students or transfer students who have been accepted into the Program for Advancement of Learning (PAL). Through this immersion style course, students have the opportunity to develop an understanding of themselves as learners within the context of higher education. This understanding is based in PAL's core learning outcomes: metacognition, self-regulation, active and engaged learning, critical thinking and reasoning skills, and expressive and receptive language skills. Working with a PAL faculty instructor and a small group of peers, students will construct strength based strategies for written communication, reading, listening, note-taking, critical thinking, problem-solving, personal goal setting, organization and teamwork. Activities include: developing an individual learning profile, reading and writing college level assignments, experimenting with assistive technologies, and exploring the rich learning resources of the Curry College community. Student learning culminates with a learning portfolio.
- Individualized approaches to learning
- Academic environment for students to earn three college credits
- Opportunities to meet new friends and make lifelong friendships and connections
- Experiences that build self-confidence in strength-based environment
- Challenging outdoor leadership and group-building day
- Trips to see some of the sights in and around Boston
- Campus social events every evening to get a head start connecting with peers
- Learn and think about learning in new ways
- Understand your strengths and how to take advantage of them
- Sample assistive technologies - Kurzweil 3000 reader program, Dragon Naturally Speaking speech to text software, Livescribe smartpens, and recorded texts
- Participate in daily interactive and engaging classes from 9 am - 4 pm in small groups (7 to 1 ratio of students to PAL professors)
- Sample classes and meet professors from different majors
- Explore ways to improve time management, organization, and executive functions
- Learn the ins and outs of campus resources
- Discover strategies in reading, writing, speaking and note-taking that work for you
TUITION FOR SUMMER 2015
- Residential students: $3870
- *Commuter students: $3280
* A "day student" commuter option is available for students unable to participate in the on-campus residential program.
SUMMER PAL Scholarship
Some limited scholarships are available for students who are registered in Summer PAL. Summer PAL scholarship applications must be received by May 1. Contact Dr. Lynn Abrahams for more information.
Apply for the Summer PAL scholarship online
(Curry/PAL Accepted Students Only)
DATES for ON-CAMPUS SUMMER PAL 2015: JULY 12 - JULY 31
To register for Summer PAL online, click on the link below and follow the online instructions. You can also pay the non-refundable $100 deposit online. Once you have submitted the online registration, an option to pay by credit card will appear. Click on that option and you will be given instructions for payment. (Ignore the request for a student ID number.) If you register online but prefer to pay the $100 deposit by check, make the check out to Curry College, indicate on the check that it is for Summer PAL with the student's name, and mail it to: Curry College, Student Accounts, 1071 Blue Hill Ave., Milton, MA 02186. The deposit deadline is May 15.
Seats in Summer PAL are limited, so register and deposit early!
(Curry/PAL Accepted Students Only) Once you submit your application and payment, please allow at least one week to process the paperwork. You will hear back from us within 7 days to confirm receipt of the application and deposit. Check with StudentAccounts@curry.edu with payment questions or call 617-333-2354.**Refund information.**
We encourage you to apply early for the SUMMER PAL program since it fills up quickly.
Helpful Information for Students Enrolled in Summer PAL 2015
Below is a list of important dates you may need as you make your plans:
Summer PAL: Sunday, July 12 through Friday July 31
- Arrival - Sunday, July 12 between Noon and 3pm at Main House
- Opening Meal - Sunday, July 12 at 5:30 pm
- Classes begin - Monday, July 13 at 9:00 am
- Last Day of Classes & Departure - Friday, July 31 - Noon
** REFUND SCHEDULE for Summer PAL
Students who withdraw from the Summer PAL Program may be eligible for a refund depending upon the date of withdrawal. Full refunds will be made only if the student withdraws from the program prior to the day of check-in. Students who withdraw from the program within the first 7 days after check-in may be eligible for a 50% refund only due to verifiable extenuating circumstance beyond control of the student, such as a medical emergency or family crisis. After the 7th day of the program, no refund will be awarded under any circumstances. Should a student be suspended from the College, he/she will not receive a refund and will remain responsible for the full cost of tuition and fees for the program. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of the program refund schedule.
Check-in Day Schedule:
Please plan to arrive on campus between Noon and 3pm on Sunday for check in at Main House, at which time you will receive your room assignment for Summer PAL. At 4pm you will be meeting with Residence Life staff and then attend a brief reception, at which time you will have an opportunity to see your family once more before your PAL summer experience begins! Our opening meal (for all students and faculty) will begin at 5:30pm in the Large Meeting Room in the Student Center, after you have said your good-byes.
Transportation from Logan Airport:
If you are flying to Boston, you will need to take the Logan Express Bus to the Braintree Terminal. Travel time is approximately 30 minutes. The bus can be picked up right outside of the baggage claim area at Logan Airport or you can ask an airport guide for assistance. A member of the Residence Life staff will pick you up at the Logan Express terminal in Braintree. Residence Life staff can also provide transportation following the end of the Summer PAL program. *Please indicate on the arrival information if you need both pick-up and drop-off transportation.
All emergencies will be handled by calling 911. Fallon Ambulance will then transport to the Milton Hospital Emergency Room. Since only limited medical services will be available at Curry College Health Services, the decision to transport by cab, Public Safety if available, or ambulance for any needed medical attention will be evaluated on an individual basis. We encourage students to review their insurance information prior to arriving on-campus and bring their card with them for their stay at Summer PAL.
SUMMER PAL CONTACT INFORMATION:
You will need to complete:
The following paperwork must be received by June 15, prior to your arrival at Curry College. Please take the time to read these forms carefully, print out, and return (address below) all the information requested to the Residence Life Office as soon as possible.
- Summer PAL Housing Policy Agreement & Arrival information
- Heath Services form ***(ONLY if student is under 18)
- ***Curry College Mandatory Medical Form to be filled out online via your myCurry Account
The internationally renowned Program for Advancement of Learning (PAL) at Curry College is pleased to present this free workshop for guidance counselors and educational consultants, offered on Friday, January 30, 2015. Help students prepare for the college search process by attending a workshop that explores the issues facing students with learning disabilities. RSVP ONLINE TODAY!