“I chose Curry because I really enjoyed the campus feel, I felt safe there. I also looked at the students and I saw me. I felt like I could relate to them. I felt comfortable and that was really important-just fitting in.”
Alicia (Viscomi) Williams '09
Owner/President, Aliste' Internet Marketing, Inc.
- Dr. Diane Webber Shares Innovative Teaching Methods at National Conference
- MESSA Project Educates Milton High Students About Substance Abuse
- Career & Internship Fair Connects Students with Employers
- More News >
- Senior Design and Studio Arts Exhibition: 'Ebb + Flow'
April 20 - May 21
- Curry Theatre Presents: 'Big Love'
April 22 - April 25
- The Keighton Fund of Curry College Presents, Die schöne Müllerin
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- About Curry /
- News & Events /
- Recent News /
- All News /
- Annual New Plays Festival Features Student-written One Act Plays
Annual New Plays Festival Features Student-written One Act Plays
March 8, 2011
Curry College held its Fifth Annual New Plays Festival in March 2011, featuring four original, student-written, one-act plays. The New Plays Festival started in 2006 after the arrival of the Communication Department's professor Gail Phaneuf. Phaneuf serves as Curry Theatre's in-house playwright and teaches a scriptwriting class each semester. At the conclusion of each semester, four to six of the pieces are chosen to be performed in the New Plays Festival.
This semester, Curry Theatre was proud to showcase four pieces of 5 to 10 minutes in length. Curry alumna Cate Buckley's comedy "Sex and Education," starts out as a talk about the 'birds and the bees' and turns into a talk about frogs. Edwin Del Cruz's comedy "Where for Art Thou Juliet," begins as a nice family visit to the theater which goes horribly wrong when a family can't keep quiet. Mark Alexander's drama "Deathbed" is about a boy in a coma who learns what life would be like without him. Finally, Justin Selig's drama "Family Portrait" paints a picture of a family that isn't quite perfect.