New Majors Available Fall 2016 - Accounting and Leadership
Months to Complete the Curry Leadership Program
Year that Curry's Plymouth Campus was established
# of Majors offered to Continuing Education students
# of CE class meetings per week - Evenings and Saturdays
transfer credits which can be applied toward a bachelor's degree
average age of the Curry Continuing Education student
Average # of students in a Continuing Education class
“From my very first meeting at Curry, I felt welcomed. My advisor offers great suggestions and support for everything. Everyone at Curry is so encouraging about what you can do that I've been even more excited to complete my degree.”
Shannon Boggs '11
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Continuing Education Programs /
- Certificate Programs /
- Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management
Today's dynamic workplace and increasingly diverse workforce have created a need for professionals who can effectively manage a variety of complex human resources functions. The Human Resource Management Certificate takes a generalist approach and is designed to provide students with an understanding of the major functions of human resources including recruitment, selection, training, wage and salary administration, benefits, and legal obligations and regulations.
Who Should Pursue this Program?
- Students with or without a bachelor's degree who are interested in pursuing a career in human resources.
- Career changers who wish to enter the human resources field.
- Those currently working within the field of human resources who may be seeking advancement or opportunities to broaden their knowledge of HR functions.
This program is open to students seeking a stand-alone certificate program, regardless of whether they already hold a bachelor's degree or not. Or, for those who wish to return to school to complete a bachelor's degree on a part-time basis, they may consider completing this certificate to augment their professional skills while working on degree requirements. The certificate credits may be applied toward a degree. Students who are not seeking a certificate may enroll in individual courses related to their particular needs.
What you will learn
- The legal relationship between employer and employee, and how federal employment and labor statutes impact virtually all HR decisions that involve hiring, promotion, assignment, discipline, and discharge.
- Job analysis and design and strategies to involve employees in ways that maximize company performance.
- Quantitative and practical tools to develop short-term and long-term staffing plans.
- Strategies to attract, select, and retain the best employees.
- Employee performance evaluation and the design and development of training programs.
- Compensation strategies, including merit and incentive plans, wage and salary structure, defined benefits, and compensation methods.
- The impact of globalization, diversity, technological change, and new work arrangements.
Select the schedule that best fits your needs. Choose the 7-month program available at our Plymouth Campus where you will attend class just one evening per week through a hybrid learning model or set your own pace by attending our Milton Campus where you can complete the certificate in approximately one year. Whichever pace you select, classes are completed in just 8 weeks by meeting once per week.
This certificate assumes that students have knowledge equivalent to MGT 1500, Principles of Management. The first required course, MGT 2500, is a prerequisite for the other required courses. Some of the elective courses may have additional prerequisites.
|MGT 2500 Human Resource Management||3|
|MGT 2262 Employment and Labor Law||3|
|MGT 2540 Employee Recruitment, Selection, and Retention||3|
|MGT 3500 Employee Training and Development||3|
|MGT 3530 Total Compensation||3|
|MGT 2265 Collective Bargaining and Labor Relations|
|AC/MGT 2764 Business Presentations|
|COM 2310 Interviewing|
|MGT 2511 Public Administration|
|Total credits required to complete the certificate program:||18|