“I like that the professors really get to know you at Curry. They know your background, where you are coming from, and also guide you to what direction you want to choose career-wise and really help you get to where you want to be professionally.”
Alyxis Crompton '18
Major: Special Education
- Sports Broadcasting Professionals Share Experiences, Career Advice with Students During Panel Discussion
- Criminal Justice Students Experience the Justice System Up Close at Newton District Trial Court
- Psychology Students, Alumni and Faculty Present Research at New England Psychology Association Conference
- More News >
- Art Exhibit: 'Absence & Presence - A Printmaking Response to the Bombing of Al-Mutanabbi Street'
November 2 - December 20
- The Keighton Fund of Curry College Presents, 'WWI: The Music and Times 100 Years Later'
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, &/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Global Experiences /
- Foreign Language and Culture
Foreign Language and Culture
Language skills and cultural studies are essential for success in areas such as business, the arts, criminal justice, health and social services, national security, foreign affairs, and international trade and tourism.
Study of foreign language and culture also offers many other benefits. It strengthens language, memory, communication, and problem-solving skills and provides insights into our own language and culture. In addition, it expands our world view and helps develop an appreciation of cultural values, traditions, and artistic expression.
Chinese is the most widely-spoken language on Earth. Studying Mandarin opens doors to one of the world's most ancient civilizations and today's most vibrant growing economies, offering tools for students with interests in business, society, politics, and culture to engage with the over one-fifth of the world's population that speaks Chinese across the globe. (Pictured above: Student display Calligraphy assignments from Professor Chinn Swartz's Mandarin Chinese class)
Study of French enriches students by providing an opportunity to understand a major European civilization. Because literature, art, and music are used in teaching French, students will not only learn a language but also gain an appreciation for the culture of France. Since one-third of English vocabulary words are derived from French, students will also improve their English vocabulary.
Italian Cinema explores themes in Italian culture through the medium of film.
Spanish is the official language in 21 countries, making it the third most widely used language in the world. More than 10% of the United States is of Spanish-speaking descent and that number is increasing rapidly. The ability to communicate in Spanish and understand the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world is growing in importance for a variety of professions. (Pictured above: Professor DiIuglio hosts tapas party for his Culture of Spain class)
See the course catalog for more information on foreign language classes.
Contact the Humanities (Foreign Languages) Department:
Faculty Building, Room 111
View the entire Curry College undergraduate course catalog (PDF)