“When I first got to Curry I met the psychology professors and right away they were super friendly and welcomed me in; that's a huge reason why I came. I was nervous at first but they made me feel really comfortable.”
Jessica Lorento '16
- Stephanny Elias Featured in U.S. News Article that Debunks Scholarship Myths
- Texas Review Press to Publish Dr. Lindsay Illich's Award-Winning Poetry Book
- New Charles River Center Internship Leaves Lasting Impression on Psychology Students
- More News >
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search
- Accepted Student Day 2017
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search (WEST COAST)
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- English and Writing /
- English and Writing Curriculum
English and Writing Curriculum
Choose the major in English in order to explore, express, create and write. The English major will give you the tools to pursue a wide variety of career paths.
All English majors must complete 30 credits hours above the 1000-level. English majors must take a core curriculum of six courses (listed below) for a total of 18 credits. Three additional courses above the 1000-level, or an additional 12 credits, must be taken in order to complete the major. Those wishing to focus on a specific area must fulfill the specific requirements for their chosen concentration.
|ENG 1180||Introduction to Literary Types||3|
Students majoring in any of the concentrations in English must include in their program the six following courses for a total of 18 credits:
|ENG 2010||Major British Writers I||3|
|ENG 2020||Major British Writers II||3|
|ENG 2110||American Literature I||3|
|ENG 2120||American Literature II||3|
|ENG 3980||Capstone Course for English Majors||3|
12 credits at the 2000- or 3000-level, or consult requirements for concentrations, below.
"Curry was my first-choice college...I liked the small size and the feeling of community when I visited campus. By joining clubs and organizations, I learned how the process works and that you could start your own club, implement your ideas and create change. Now, I'm better able to take initiative and not be just a follower. Within Curry's supportive environment, I felt comfortable enough to take a risk and step into leadership positions." Read more...
Dr. Kristen Getchell has a passion for writing, and she has shared that passion with college students of all ages. But she has an extra special place in her heart for her first-year students.
The Curry Arts Journal enlivens artistic expression at Curry in publishing an appealing, professional edition of student writing and artwork each year and in sponsoring workshops, readings, and coffeehouses that celebrate student voices each semester.
The Currier Times and curriertimes.net are Curry College's student-produced news publications. Students blog, cover breaking campus news, write feature stories, and produce photo slideshows, podcasts and videos and gain a wealth of experience in print publishing, including long-form writing, copyediting, photography, photo editing and page design.