“Curry College had a unique kind of feel to it when I was visiting schools. When I first came onto the campus it had this kind of home feeling and I didn’t really get that on a lot of other campuses that I visited.”
Tyler Collins '14
Graphic Designer, Gupta Media
Major: Graphic Design
- Sports Broadcasting Professionals Share Experiences, Career Advice with Students During Panel Discussion
- Criminal Justice Students Experience the Justice System Up Close at Newton District Trial Court
- Psychology Students, Alumni and Faculty Present Research at New England Psychology Association Conference
- More News >
- Art Exhibit: 'Absence & Presence - A Printmaking Response to the Bombing of Al-Mutanabbi Street'
November 2 - December 20
- The Keighton Fund of Curry College Presents, 'WWI: The Music and Times 100 Years Later'
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, &/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- English and Writing /
- English and Writing Curriculum
English and Writing Curriculum
Choose the major in English in order to explore, express, create and write. The English major will give you the tools to pursue a wide variety of career paths.
All English majors must complete 30 credits hours above the 1000-level. English majors must take a core curriculum of six courses (listed below) for a total of 18 credits. Three additional courses above the 1000-level, or an additional 12 credits, must be taken in order to complete the major. Those wishing to focus on a specific area must fulfill the specific requirements for their chosen concentration.
|ENG 1180||Introduction to Literary Types||3|
Students majoring in any of the concentrations in English must include in their program the six following courses for a total of 18 credits:
|ENG 2010||Major British Writers I||3|
|ENG 2020||Major British Writers II||3|
|ENG 2110||American Literature I||3|
|ENG 2120||American Literature II||3|
|ENG 3980||Capstone Course for English Majors||3|
12 credits at the 2000- or 3000-level, or consult requirements for concentrations, below.
Australia, China, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Peru, Spain, Taiwan and Tanzania - For most people, this would be a global destination wish list, or even a recap of a lifetime spent traveling. But for English/Writing Major and Education Minor Andrew Gass '18, it's only the beginning.
Dr. Kristen Getchell has a passion for writing, and she has shared that passion with college students of all ages. But she has an extra special place in her heart for her first-year students.
The Curry Arts Journal enlivens artistic expression at Curry in publishing an appealing, professional edition of student writing and artwork each year and in sponsoring workshops, readings, and coffeehouses that celebrate student voices each semester.
The Currier Times and curriertimes.net are Curry College's student-produced news publications. Students blog, cover breaking campus news, write feature stories, and produce photo slideshows, podcasts and videos and gain a wealth of experience in print publishing, including long-form writing, copyediting, photography, photo editing and page design.