- Stephanny Elias Featured in U.S. News Article that Debunks Scholarship Myths
- Texas Review Press to Publish Dr. Lindsay Illich's Award-Winning Poetry Book
- New Charles River Center Internship Leaves Lasting Impression on Psychology Students
- More News >
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search
- Accepted Student Day 2017
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search (WEST COAST)
- More Events >
The Academic Advising office exists to offer guidance and support to students throughout their undergraduate experience as they explore and make choices regarding their academic program, major, and educational goals.
The goals of the Academic Advising Office are the following:
- Assist students in creating their schedule for each semester, help to narrow their choices around declaring a major, and provide useful advice on required courses and requirements
- Based on the tenets of proactive, holistic, appreciative advising, the Advising Office staff seeks to assist students in developing strategies and utilizing resources that will enable them to take responsibility for and become engaged in their learning throughout college and beyond.
- Encourage students to establish meaningful connections with their faculty advisor, and to also become involved in the campus community by participating in co-curricular activities and programs
The Advising Office first interacts with students following their acceptance to pre-register them for a few classes prior to Summer Orientation. Many students attend a Summer Orientation session, or speak with an advisor by phone to complete their schedule for the fall semester. Students are assigned to an academic advisor in August.
Faculty advisors will meet with their advisees for usually for 2-3 meetings throughout the semester to discuss any issues or concerns which may impact their academic progress.
The Academic Advising Office, located in the Student Center, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and students are welcome to make an appointment, or to stop by the office during these hours.