“"It feels welcoming to be in classes where I can be a part of the discussion and feel comfortable raising my hand and sharing my opinions."”
Caitlyn De Serres '18
Major: Psychology, Sociology
- School of Nursing Hosts First Annual Nightingale Ceremony
- VIDEO: WCVB's 'Chronicle' Features Dr. Karen Lischinsky's Work with MA Restorative Justice Collaborative
- Class of 2020 Welcomed at New Student Convocation
- More News >
- Visiting Artist Exhibit: 'Text. Image. Image. Text.'
September 8 - October 14
- Career Conference 2016
- Open House, Session 1 - Fall 2016
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
- Philosophy /
- Learning Outcomes
The Philosophy Major
1. Self-discovery and personal development
- Students learn to identify their own values, loyalties, and virtues, as well as those values and loyalties that they can tolerate, and those that they reject.
- Students reflect on their own habits of thought (metacognition).
2. Critical thinking
- Students can express and evaluate ethical and philosophical arguments, recognize any logical fallacies, and find the pragmatic outcomes of those arguments.
- Students can criticize "conventional wisdom" (including their own) using skills of independent judgment.
3. Historical awareness of philosophical and religious traditions
- Students demonstrate their ability to read and interpret difficult texts (philosophical, religious, biblical) in their historical context.
- Students demonstrate a basic knowledge of several world traditions (philosophical and/or religious).
- Students can trace the roots of contemporary ideas, as well as the influences that have caused those ideas to change and develop.
4. Contemporary application
- Students examine ethical issues as "respons-ible" adults, able to respond for themselves without blaming others.
Students grasp religious, philosophical, and ethical traditions deeply enough to be able to express them in new ways in a changing world.