“My psychology and health classes have helped me identify what kind of person I am and who I want to be. I've learned a lot about making connections with people, which is not only helpful in social interactions, but also for internships and jobs in the psychology field. ”
Jessica Lorento '16
- Stephanny Elias Featured in U.S. News Article that Debunks Scholarship Myths
- Texas Review Press to Publish Dr. Lindsay Illich's Award-Winning Poetry Book
- New Charles River Center Internship Leaves Lasting Impression on Psychology Students
- More News >
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search
- Accepted Student Day 2017
- Free Workshop for Guidance Counselors and Educational Consultants: Helping Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Executive Function Difficulties Navigate the College Search (WEST COAST)
- More Events >
- You are here:
- Curry College - Home /
- Programs & Courses /
- Undergraduate Programs /
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations /
- Majors /
Are you constantly seeking answers to life's mysteries? Always questioning assumptions and norms? Wanting to get beneath the surface, to explore deeper issues? Yearn for an intellectual challenge? Then you may want to major in philosophy.
At Curry College, we emphasize the importance of action, not just abstract thinking. Many of our courses are concerned explicitly with ethics in a number of different contexts, but every course will help you with the fundamental question: "What should I do?"
You will have the opportunity to explore and integrate both philosophical and religious interests into your class work. The two are not identical, but complementary ways of asking "the big questions."
Employers rank critical thinking as their highest priority among skills that are increasingly important in the workforce of the future. Two-thirds of employers also identify ethics and social responsibility as increasingly important. A philosophy degree emphasizes exactly these skills!
Philosophy as a MAJOR
Philosophy concerns itself with matters such as the basis of right and wrong, the nature of human knowledge, the assumptions which underlie various forms of government, and the mystery of existence. Philosophy offers critical perspectives on the claims and presuppositions of areas such as science, psychology, art, and history. Knowledge of these perspectives will help students in almost any career, as they learn discipline in thinking, creativity in problem-solving, thoughtfulness in self-awareness, and a deep sense of humanity's efforts to understand its place in the universe.
Philosophy as a MINOR
Individually Initiated Major
The Curry philosophy and religion programs have much in common. It is possible for a student to combine them, either in an individually initiated major or in a philosophy major that includes a significant number of religion courses in the related areas as part of the major.
Get Started Today!
Visit campus and explore Curry's philosophy program in person. You also may request information to learn more about the major, minor or concentration of your choice. When you're ready to apply to Curry, we'll help you get started.
Contact the Humanities (Philosophy and Religion) Department:
Faculty Building, Room 111